Our small, friendly, church held its first worship service on May 8, 1955, with 35 people in attendance. The service was held at the Sunbeam Home, a private children’s boarding home on Bennett Ave. Attendance grew and services moved to a larger facility, a converted garage on the same grounds.
During the summer months of that year, drive-in worship services were conducted at 15 Bennett Ave. This property was purchased as the site of a new Methodist Church. Meanwhile, services were moved to a converted school house five miles southeast of Council Bluffs and remained at this site until 1958. The first Sunday worship service in our current location was held on May 14, 1958. The parsonage and educational building were purchased in April 1965.
In 1972 the Indian Hills Nursing Center ministry and the Child Care Center were started. Perkins Hall was remodeled in 1982.
The church’s mortgage was paid and papers burned in a ceremony of dedication on November 7, 1982. The following year, the Christian Education Building was extensively remodeled and consecrated.
The Saturday night Worship Service and the Live Nativity began in 1993. In 1995 six new stained glass windows in our Sanctuary were dedicated. The hanging lights in the sanctuary were added in 1997.
Today, St. Mark’s remains a small, friendly church and is a great place to worship, to learn, and to share in a family atmosphere.
Learn about Our Pastor.